Last year I read the book “Get Together: How to Build a Community With Your People.” I had shared some of my favorite parts of the book with the Find Calm Here Community. Now I’m sharing it with you!
What I’ve learned:
- Co-Creation is the magic of community, build it WITH them!
- Community isn’t an audience, it’s a group of people who collaborate to accomplish things together that they CAN’T do on their own!
- Tell people what it is about and let them decide if it’s for them — if it’s their “Tribe” — communities are about exclusivity with a deep dive into content that transforms a specific group of people together over time.
Spark the flame when building a community
- Who do I bring together and why do we want to come together?
- Who are my allies? Write down names of people who are “kindling.”
- What shared activity will we do that is purposefully and participatory?
- After that activity, did people enjoy it? Get reflections for future events.
After validating the people, activity/event, and what they want, build it
- Create a space for the conversations to continue following the events.
- Prompt conversations with new members so they feel welcome.
- Establish a code of conduct, moderators, and structure.
Bring them back for more and grow your membership
- Share the story of how the community started
- Give members a place to be heard by allowing them to share their stories
- Spotlight exceptional members to bring the community to life
It is your unique community, own it!
- Elevate signature rituals that bond your members
- Develop your unique shared language
- Keep track of people who keep showing up
- Pay attention to the most engaged members, they are future leaders
- Communicate your challenges or mistakes to offer authentic vulnerability
Worksheets & Additional Resources
Did you enjoy this article?
Buy me a cup of coffee to say thanks!
Check out these popular episodes
Read our blog
In this episode of the Community Strategy Podcast, you’ll hear a recording of an interview with Sarah Hines, the Host of Leading while Healing Network, who shares her community-building journey.